BIBFRAME August 2013

Re: Authority - Treatment of role data

"J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Aug 2013 15:25:42 -0700

Karen said:

>Thanks, Mac - I wasn't thinking about people as subjects, but that adds
>an interesting twist. The section in the document on subject authorities
>doesn't address this. I wonder if there are relators that can be applied
>to a person (or corporate body) as either a subject or an "agent" ...

Who knows how Bibframe will develop?  So long as we are in MARC, the
field number distinguishes between subject (6XX) and agent (1XX/7XX).

But a relator code or term is needed for 'depicted' and 'setting';
MARC field tags don't tell us that.

None of us have mentioned genre headings, some of which are still
(mistakenly I think) being coded 650, particularly music ones.  If
Bibframe uses the same label for all 6XX, genre terms would need
indication as 'genre', 'example' or 'instance', rather than 'subject'
or 'about'.  That will be tricky for cross walks from MARC with genre
terms coded 650.  It would be much easier to switch to the new LCGFT
terms if the terms being replaced were in 655, as well as migration to
Bibframe.