PCCTG1 August 2013

Re: Continuing resource?

Kevin M Randall <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:22:37 +0000

As long as we're using the MARC format, yes; because that's the handy way to generate the appropriate 008 field--for MOST, but not all, serials.  The actual mode of issuance is in Leader/07 ("s" for serial, "i" for integrating resource).  If you have a serial DVD, you wouldn't use the Continuing Resources workform, yet you'd still use Leader/07 "s", plus have to use field 006 to get the additional fixed field elements appropriate for serials.  (And the first byte in 006 determines the definition of the rest of that instance of 006.)

When we're beyond MARC, we'll be out of this wonky, schizoid system that MARC has turned out to be.  (And I'm just hoping that the next thing isn't equally wonky, albeit in its own way.)

Kevin