PCCTG1 August 2013

Re: CCM 31 Record Examples

CHRISTOPHER WALKER <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 18:08:07 -0400

Colleagues,

not to mention that serials being the wily, ever-changing things they are,
even if you edit a record in the live CONSER database to make it a
more persuasive example for the manual....
the master record might be changed later
as the resource twists and turns.

I wouldn't edit any records in OCLC solely to provide clearer examples.

Christopher H. Walker
Serials Cataloging Librarian
Penn State's representative to the CONSER Operations Committee
Member at Large, ALCTS CRS Executive Committee 2013/2016
126 Paterno Library
The Pennsylvania State University
University Park, PA 16802-1812
(814) 865-4212

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugene H Dickerson" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 2, 2013 3:51:34 PM
Subject: Re: [PCCTG1] CCM 31 Record Examples

Hi, Liping.

I don’t think that it’s necessary to convert the OCLC records to RDA. The examples in the CCM are being used to illustrate the concepts being discussed. There’s no guarantee that they are going to match exactly existing OCLC records just as there wasn’t in the AACR2 version of the CCM. My preference is to see CONSER catalogers spend time on original cataloging or on authenticating copy rather than recataloging serials that already have CONSER records. Therefore, I think it’s acceptable to convert the AACR2 examples from the AACR2 version of the CCM to RDA, if practical. It’s also acceptable to add new examples that comply with the RDA guidelines. I agree that you should do whatever is easier. If recataloging proves to be the path of least resistance, then go for it, but I don’t think that one of the goals of the CCM revision should be to recatalog serials just to have RDA examples.

Gene

Eugene Dickerson
Lead Librarian for Cataloging
Ralph J. Bunche Library
U.S. Dept. of State
2201 C Street NW, Rm. 2438
A/GIS/IPS/LIBR
Washington, DC 20520
(202) 647-2191 voice
(202) 647-0203 fax
Ready to take your research skills to the next level?
Bunche Library FullSearch
Try it - let us know if you like it. [log in to unmask]