PCCTG1 August 2013

Re: 33x's for USNP

Les Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:04:48 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Hello all,

CONSER members are not prohibited from creating a microfilm record for a
U.S. newspaper separate from the print record. And there is an example of
a microform record for a US newspaper, linked to a record for the print in
Module 33.20

Section 33.19 in module 33 describes the USNP master record convention
this way:

"USNP is not required to follow the CONSER practice of creating separate
records for U.S. titles in microform, but generally uses the "master
record convention" to account for the various physical forms in which a
newspaper is held."

I have seen USNP record based on the microfilm- not that numerous but
clearly there were some state programs that preferred to create a record
based on the microfilm.

I think however we should not mix the description of microform and print
manifestations on the same record- at least for the immediate future. That
would be a change that requires consultation among CONSER members and
other users of our records.

--Les