ARSCLIST  October 2013

ARSCLIST October 2013

Re: Advice needed on removing / minimizing tape bleed-through

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:14:14 -0400

Hi Josh:

You are encountering what's called print-through. There is little you can do in the analog domain
aside from fast-winding the tape back and forth before playing (there is research to indicate this
can reduce print-through by a few dB).

Once you make your transfer, you can do a couple of things in the digital domain (or you can use
analog equipment between the tape machine and the ADC). You can try a gate/expander, which may slap
down the print-through a bit without effecting the quality of the singing. However, if it pumps the
print-through up and down in level, it will be more noticeable to most ears than if it were left at
a constant level. This is my big beef with over-aggressive "noise reduction" on disk sources --
spank down the surface noise between bursts of content too much and it's more noticeable because it
pumps up behind the bursts of content. So you have to use your ears and good taste with a gate or NR
plug-in.

You can also try EQ, see if you can find frequencies in the print-through content that aren't needed
in the vocal content. This probably needs to be done conservatively since the print-through is an
echo of the vocal content. However, because it's much lower in level, you might be able to EQ some
of it down low enough not to be noticeable.

There won't be a total fix to this, but you can mess with EQ and dynamics control and maybe come up
with something acceptable.

-- Tom Fine