[email protected]

ARSCLIST  October 2013

ARSCLIST October 2013

Re: Advice needed on removing / minimizing tape bleed-through

Carl Pultz <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:37:53 -0400

I had something like this in my mind, but I've never tried it. In a DAW,
duplicate the transferred audio on two parallel tracks. Flip one out of
phase and mute it during the desired audio. During moments of print-through,
fade up the other track. It hopefully will cancel the echo, but only
minimally effect the uncorrelated tape hiss. You might filter the second
track to concentrate its effect on the particular band(s) causing trouble,
in order to minimize weird coloration of the hiss or ambience spectrum.

Would that actually work in practice? Labor intensive, but there might be a
way to semi-automate those crossfades. Otherwise, maybe Malcolm's idea of
working from full-volume signals is more effective. If somebody will upload
some test audio, I'll give it a try. None of my tape machines work right
now...

If science doesn't work, offsetting the second track enough to overlap
background during the moments of echo would make for an easy way to
crossfade to non-echo moments, yet have consistent background noise spectrum
at those moments. Much easier than editing-in clips of noise/ambience, while
the shape of the crossfades can be used to smooth the transitions.
Multitrack is very useful in ways beyond just mixing tracks in the
conventional sense.