Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  November 2013

ARSCLIST November 2013

Re: "Slide-tape show" Software (was Public Library of Cincinnati Institutes Stream of Presentations)

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 15 Nov 2013 08:21:36 -0500

Thanks to everyone for commenting on these threads. In our case, it came
together at the last minute. We knew that the library had the capability to
stream presentations, and Steve Kemple and I had a long discussion the day
before and that didn't come up. We both realized the next day that we
hadn't made arrangements to obtain "the better equipment" so Steve just set
up his laptop and we went with that at the last minute. One of the reasons
I posted notice of it here was also to share some of the content; I haven't
rolled out those Rainbow tests before and some of that material is really
fascinating.

However, I note some of the institutions that stream academic talks that I
subscribe to via YouTube don't necessarily have much better results than
what we got. I wonder why the camera cannot see the projections; is it due
to the glare from interior lighting? Or is the camera invariably blind to
what's on the screen? We would be interested in knowing how to make that
better. I thought the audio was okay considering the delivery system -- I
fiddle around, it seems, a little too much with the classroom turntable I'm
using, but I am adjusting volume for the room. All Rainbow records of the
20s are rather faint, and I was having to ride the volume kind of high
which invited some transient feedback in the turntable.

I do have a response to something Tom said:
Videos of a guy speaking while his shows slides are dumb. The slides are
the story. The audio tells it, the slides show it. No human required
(except it would be nice to have better-than-average sound guys running the
board). The house system is actually a good place to make the vids for
online -- capture audio and projector feed at the same time to a Flash or
MOV file.

I've always thought camera guys are a huge waste at conferences (no offense
to the Beals, but it would be more useful to just have great audio matched
to slides with great audio of the sound examples). Again, I don't need any
filming of me speaking to slides. What would be good would be matching my
audio to the slide I'm talking about, while I'm doing the presentation, so
there's no work required afterwards.

For me, it is the speaker and not the slides. Certainly I do my best to put
on a good show when I speak. And I was not at my best here. I was
recovering from a nasty cold that had lain me up for a week, and you can
still hear it in my voice. Also, Allisyn's death was on October 18 and the
sorrow from that event saps so much of my energy that I almost cancelled
this talk. But as Rody was a project we both believed in, and worked on, I
felt it would a disservice to her memory not to move it forward even this
little bit.

For me, the slides are illustrations to create a visual link to what I am
talking about, and also to confirm to the audience that what's under
discussion is really real; that I'm not just making it up out of whole
cloth. That's important to me, as a lot of the topics I tend to cover are
things very few are interested in, and there's not a lot of secondary kinds
of sources to fall back on. There is much in the field, thankfully, of
recording history that affords such exposure, but there is the risk of
being too arcane and having to spend a lot time setting something up to be
comprehensible, such as here. I go in thinking maybe they've heard a little
about Billy Sunday and nothing at all about Homer Rodeheaver. Even to many
of us Homer is not much more than a boring singer on old Victor records
that are "too" common, and will not know that Homer's acoustical Victors
simply aren't the best records he made. Compare the Columbia of "Brighten
the Corner" with the Victor and it's easy to see the difference, or any
pre-1933 Rodeheaver electrical over the acoustics. I'm not so sure I could
get to such a "second base" with many in our fraternity, who just wouldn't
have the patience.

But when I attend a talk I am just as interested in the speaker as I am the
presentation; the human element, I think, is important. I would have the
technology to simply set up the slides to my talk on a soundtrack and to
deliver the whole talk as a post-produced piece. But the improvised asides
would be missing, plus the interaction from the audience, and the "live"
aspect of it, something that we had to go with by virtue the very nature of
the stream and its capability. I would be interested in finding ways to
make this better. The series of talks will continue for at least two years
according to the calendar that I have set up with the library and I'm
hoping that we can improve the method of delivery going forward.

BTW I once presented my ARSC Henry Cowell talk, which Peter Hirsch
delivered at Stanford with the music but without visuals, with the visuals
but without the musical examples, owing to a glitch. And it still went over.

David N. "Uncle Dave" Lewis
Lebanon, OH