ARSCLIST  November 2013

ARSCLIST November 2013

Re: Maximizing CD Storage Space

Peter Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:16:06 -0500

I ditched all my jewel cases well over a decade back and I have posted my
experience to this list at least once. Since so much time has elapsed, I
hope the list will indulge me if I re-state myself rather than telling
Martin to search the list's archives.

My guidance in this matter was provided by a chance encounter (my only one,
so far) with Gary Giddens at a lunch hosted by Will Friedwald. Gary and
Will have their areas of great authority outside the audio archive world,
but definitely have plenty of experience dealing with large personal
collections of recordings. At that time, their personal spaces were being
inundated by tons of review-copy CDs. Anyway, Gary described what he was
doing (and Will was about to embark on), which was transfering the CDs to
Tyvek envelopes and sliding the envelopes into clear plastic sleeves
measuring a small fraction of an inch larger. These sleeves provide enough
room to also house the tray card and booklet and my experience has been
that that even 2 and 3 CD sets can be accommodated in one, unless the
booklet is a full opera libretto or something similar. I don't know the
precise makeup of the plastic of the clear sleeve, but it seems to be the
same material that most LP protective sleeves are made of.

When I have posted this previously, a number of people expressed fears
about off-gassing, but none of them responded when I asked if there was
some test results that I could see that they were basing their doubts on.
My basic take, is that, after approximately 15 years, I have not have seen
any apparent deterioration of CD, some of which are closing in on 30 years
of age in the not-too-distant future and there is no conceivable way I
could have housed more than about a third of what I have without them.

I have never seen the exact equivalent items anywhere other than from a
company called Something Special (not even Bags Unlimited). This is a very
small operation operating from someone's garage in suburban Pennsylvania
and has no web-site or even email that I have been able to unearth. It is
strictly either send them a letter with a check or give them a phone call.
They are very pleasant to talk with and I find their prices quite decent,
even when springing for 1,000. I will dig up their contact information and
the order numbers for the sleeves and envelopes later when I have access to
them.

My small contribution to the topic.

Peter Hirsch