ARSCLIST  November 2013

ARSCLIST November 2013

Re: Maximizing CD Storage Space

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 6 Nov 2013 13:33:03 -0500

As much as any of us who have amassed substantial numbers of CDs might dislike them, there was a
method in developing the Jewel Case. It remains the best way to shelve a CD vertically with a
plainly visible and readable spine for quick recognition and access. Some of the laminated paper
with glued plastic "greener" CD packaging accomplishes the same goal, in roughly the same form
factor. CDs in sleeves are hard to deal with if access and content-recognition is the goal. My
experience has been that, when handled carefully, jewel cases protect CDs for the long term. In all
fairness, warnings about careful handling were placed in the earliest CD booklets, so people who
mishandled them were warned that they may become unplayable. Carefully handled CDs in paper or
plastic sleeves also hold up just fine, in my experience. But the jewel cases offer some extra
protection.

A single CD in a jewel case takes up about 6.875 cubic inches of space (5.75 x 5 x .25 inches). An
LP album in a standard (non-gatefold) sleeve takes up about 18 cubic inches (12 x 12 x .125 inches).
Considering a Red Book CD can hold 74 minutes of content -- anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times the content
of an LP record, there's substantial space requirement reduction for the CD collector.

But we still run out of space! And don't I know it as my shelves overflow and my downstairs fills to
the ceiling with music media.

The most space-efficient solutions I've seen for most rooms are the massive metal drawer-cabinet
systems sold (for hundreds or thousands of dollars) from library-supply place. I could not figure
out any better way to fit 5000 CDs in the same area as one of those cabinets, but I couldn't afford
it so I build less efficient plywood shelves. The shelves offer better up-front immediate visibility
of the spines, but the drawers cram more CDs per inch of wall space.

One other comment about commercial packaging. I had to cry uncle about the super-wasteful standard
DVD case. I put all my DVD's into archival looseleaf 4-per-page sleeves and put those into sturdy
3-ring binders. Yes, it cuts the shelf space requirement by almost 90%. But, I find I rarely open
the binders to watch movies and don't know or care what's in them. I probably didn't pay close
attention to DVDs before that, and I've stopped buying almost any of them since (turns out, once
through from Netflix is plenty for me with almost all movies). The DVD makers must know I'm not so
unique with this, and produce inefficient but visually stimulating packaging to grab our attention
in hopes we'll watch a movie more than once in a lifetime.

-- Tom Fine