ARSCLIST  November 2013

ARSCLIST November 2013

Re: Maximizing CD Storage Space

Peter Hirsch <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Nov 2013 12:30:11 -0500

To follow up on my posting regarding the clear plastic and Tyvek sleeves
that can be purchased from Something Special Enterprises, I have dug up an
old receipt and see that their phone number is (412) 487-2626, address -
P.O. Box 74, Allison Park, PA 15101. I see that there is a handwritten
email address (this all dates from 2001, so I cannot guarantee it all is
still current).

The clear 3 mil plastic (it does not specify PVC or any other specifics)
sleeve is product #422 $21 per 1000 at the time) and the Tyvek looks like
it is #830 ($10 per 100). They also have the Tyvek sleeve with a clear
circular window. If anyone wants to see a sample, they can send me their
address offlist and I could slip one of each in an envelope and mail it off
to you.

I am interested to hear Tom bring up the spectre of disc warpage. I have
never seen this, but maybe it is so subtle that it affects playback and
ripping but is not readily visible to the eye. As I have stated before, I
can count on one (or maybe two) hands the times I have experienced a CD
gone bad and even in these cases, I can't say that they may not have been
defective from the start. Am I totally out in left field in regard to my
experience? I am not at all eager to start a major migration to some hard
drive/server arrangement (I've already got way too many unfinished projects
going), but some clear evidence that a significant percentage of my CDs
were likely to rot or warp in the next couple of decades might give me a
cause to get going.

Peter Hirsch