Help for LOCCFB Archives

LOCCFB Archives

LOCCFB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

LOCCFB Home

LOCCFB  November 2013

LOCCFB November 2013

Invitation to LOC Centers for the Book Staff: "Digital Literary Maps" Meeting/Webinar December 6, 2013 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM CST

Iowa Center for the Book Coordinator <[log in to unmask]>

Center for the Book state centers communication <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:28:19 -0600

Dear colleagues,

Please join our Adobe Connect Webinar "Digital Literary Maps" next week. All you need to do is to go to the meeting URL listed below.

When:  12/06/2013 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Time Zone:  (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US and Canada)

To join the meeting go to:
http://iowa.adobeconnect.com/icb/

There is no software to install to enter the meeting room. Simply click on the above link during the meeting time. When you get to the room, click on the radio button labeled "guest." Enter your name. There is no password needed.

Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers work best on this system.

Special thanks to Iowa Library Services Consultant Jay Peterson, who is our technical producer and will be available to help us that day!

----------------
Attending an Adobe classroom is very easy. If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before and want to get more familiar with it:

Test your connection: http://iowa.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm

Get a quick overview: http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect.html

Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.

----DIGITAL LITERARY MAPS AGENDA ----

1.  Technical check-in for participants, Jay Peterson, Consultant, Iowa Library Services/State Library
2.  Introduction, Sharon Shaloo, Massachusetts CFB
3.  Presentations by Curtis Rogers from South Carolina State Library; Ellen Bosman from New Mexico: new or established maps; how they were conceptualized; selection criteria; some cautionary tales
4.  Big Picture Questions for Planning: developing a map that tells our state's story; getting funded;  estimating staff or volunteer time
5.  Thoughts for further webinars: software and cloud design solutions; how we highlight other mapping initiatives in our states; whether to launch a national site linking to all of us..

In case you missed it, here is the link to Sharon Shaloo's spreadsheet of links to literary maps, mostly interactive, in the US.  It would be great if everyone could take a look at some of these before the 6th, and of course please let Sharon know of others that should be added.

Google Drive Document: <https://docs.google.com/a/simmons.edu/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aom5eB4TCJcTdExnNUdGOGQ1TnUxUXhtUDIzSmFtRFE&usp=sharing>
You'll see a link on the spreadsheet to an article, "Literary Mapping: Don't Reinvent the Wheel," which is thought-provoking and will give an overview of the technical issues facing us.

We look forward to seeing you next Friday, December 6th 11:00 AM CST!

Robin Martin, Iowa  CFB, [log in to unmask]
Mary Menzel, California CFB, [log in to unmask]
Sharon Shaloo, Massachusetts CFB, [log in to unmask]
Robin E. Martin, MLS
Coordinator, Iowa Center for the Book
Iowa Library Services/State Library
1112 East Grand Avenue