ARSCLIST  February 2014

ARSCLIST February 2014

Re: Record (LP) shelving

eugene hayhoe <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Feb 2014 17:24:28 -0800

This doesn't appear to be the same as what I have, but it seems to be close. SOLID metal, not the type with circle cuts, which are notoriously flimsy.

Need to cut end pieces for lps, but that is simple.  Assemble in like 10 minutes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_319468-1281-MR4824WGB_4294857717__?productId=3529780&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

On Sat, 2/22/14, Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Record (LP) shelving
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Saturday, February 22, 2014, 7:29 PM

 Back before this sort of thing cost a
 fortune, my brother got a bunch of very nice hard-plywood
 shelves made by a guy with a shop down near Canal Street in
 NYC. Now I'm sure the real estate where
 the shop was is worth a fortune, and the last time I checked
 pricing on custom-made shelving it was
 $$$$.

 My compromise -- which now houses all of my jazz records and
 about 1/3 of my classical records --
 are the cheap pine cubes you find at Michael's and AC Moore
 shops. If you wait for a coupon combined
 with a sale, they can be had very cheap. They are sturdy and
 can be stacked successfully (I have
 them stacked to the ceiling with my jazz records, 3
 abreast). Beware that the width measurement is
 open to interpretation by whatever Chinese factory is
 putting them together this week, so some
 shelves work very well sideways and some don't. The way I
 had good success with my jazz records was
 three 3x1 shelves next to each other on the floor, with a
 well-made 3x1 sideways on top of them, and
 then three 2x1's on top of that. They go up to about 6.75
 feet, which is high as I'd want any record
 shelf (I'm 6 feet tall, and I like to be able to reach and
 view spines on the top shelves without a
 ladder). That's 18 cubes, each approximately 12.5" wide, so
 18.75 linear feet of storage.

 For the cubes housing part of my classical collection, they
 needed to sit on top of 2-drawer file
 cabinets. I re-purposed an old cubicle surface that was
 headed for the dumpster, and cut it to size
 to sit on top of the file cabinets (my theory is that this
 spreads the stress points evenly across
 the decent-grade but not super-grade steel). Then I got
 really lucky when my wife brought home three
 3x1 cubes that were all 12.7 inches wide. This allowed me to
 stack them on their sides, which again
 makes a larger unified contact area over which to spread the
 weight (I'm not a physicist, so I can't
 tell you that this was best practice, but it resulted in
 very stable shelves and the file cabinets
 are so far showing now signs of buckling under the weight).
 So that's 9 cubes, about 9.2 linear feet
 total.

 I hate to admit this, but those two shelves house less than
 half of my records! Sheesh.

 -- Tom Fine