Re: Record (LP) shelving

Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:43:29 -0800

Years ago, when they were divesting themselves of LPs, I acquired most of the record shelves our radio owned. Perhaps there might be a few stations around that still have some. I got about 8 or 9 units, 6' tall ranging from 3' to 5' wide. Most of them were built for sale to radio stations. I paid $25 each.

There is a place here in our town which makes custom shelves for just about anything and they are quite reasonable. No doubt, you can find a carpenter in your area who can construct some for you.

I often see shelves as described below in thrift stores. Another solution can be found at our Sam's club…wire metal shelving. Since the shelves are open, you need to use a thin piece of plywood on the shelf to keep the records from slipping. A 6' tall, 3' wide set of shelves sells for under $100. I use them mostly for my equipment as they are very sturdy and provide good ventilation. Don't try buying them at a place like the Container Store…they will charge you two or three times the price.

Karl

________________________________
 From: eugene hayhoe <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Record (LP) shelving

Tom, all I can say is they cost less than the materials I used to build the wooden ones, which cost me a few dozen hours of labor in the procuring and cutting of wood, construction and painting.  With 'the store bought ones,' I was loading records within 20 minutes.

Don't know ''what you bought or what you were doing to them,'' (LOL) but the 10 I've bought have given me NO reason to question their stability in numerous years of service and they are ''fully loaded" with 16-20 feet of records, depending on whether other things, like speakers, are on them. I'm a big guy, and I would feel safe standing on them (though, I admit, I have not tried that).

I suspect that the product I am talking about and the ones you are are not the same.

Gene