CHRONAM-USERS@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

CHRONAM-USERS Home

CHRONAM-USERS  February 2014

CHRONAM-USERS February 2014

High CPU usage

Chuck Henry <[log in to unmask]>

Data, API, website, and code of the Chronicling America website" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Feb 2014 09:28:40 -0500

Hi everyone,

I'm running Chronam at http://nyshistoricnewspaper.org.  So far so good. However, we're seeing a
pretty heavy load on the system. We're running Chronam on an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS VM with 4 CPUs and
16 GB of ram.  Now that the site is production we're seeing 85% CPU utilization all the time. The load
average runs around 20 during the work day. Google Analytics says we have around 4,000 visitors a
day with about 35,000 page views. We have about 2.5 million pages at the moment.

Looking at 'top' we have a bunch (10 or more) of apache2 processes running