ARSCLIST  March 2014

ARSCLIST March 2014

Re: Ford Sunday Evening Hour broadcasts

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Mar 2014 14:09:52 -0400

The writeup of the Ford Auditorium indicated that the orchestra had been "homeless" since the 1940s.
Which clarifies a mystery for me -- I had always wondered why people referred to the Paradise
Theatre as "old orchestra hall." It literally was the old home of the orchestra, dating back 10+
years before Ford Auditorium was built. That would also explain its delapidated condition by the
late 1950s.

I looked at the Mercury session books. The first days of the very first Detroit recording session,
in February 1953, were at the Masonic Temple with "controlled reverb," meaning the tape playback was
folded back into the auditorium like was tried in Minneapolis around the same time. The Masonic
Temple was deemed unusable after two days and sessions were moved to "old orchestra hall" (Paradise
Theatre). Sessions took place there in 1954 and 1955  The first session at Ford Auditorium was
October 1956. And I was incorrect in saying the Saint-Saens "Organ" symphony was one of the first
Mercury recordings at Ford. It in fact took place in October 1957, a year after the first Ford
Auditorium sessions. The March 1958 sessions took place at the Paradise Theatre, but January 1959
was at Ford Auditorium. April 1959 was at Paradise. The move to Cass started with the November 1960
session and encompassed the remaining Mercury/DSO recordings (November 1960, March 1961 and March
1962; the 1961 and 1962 session were recorded on 35mm magnetic film).

As far as number of Mercury DSO albums, more than half were recorded at the Paradise Theatre. The
ones from the stereo era best loved by the audiophiles were all recorded at Cass except for the
"Organ Symphony." One reason that the "Organ Symphony" worked better at Ford than others is that the
orchestra was moved to the very front of the stage to provide proper balance for the organ. The mics
were hung further out in the room, so there was a bit more reverb.

-- Tom Fine