ARSCLIST  March 2014

ARSCLIST March 2014

Re: Brand suicide

Carl Pultz <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Mar 2014 05:04:13 -0400

That wasn't the half of it, and I don't know half of it myself. But, my
experience during the '80s and '90s was that most of the catalogs were so
unstable that by the time awareness of a particular recording matured, you
couldn't get it anymore. I'm speaking of the classical realm. That seemed to
be true of all the Polygram labels, both new productions and reissues. EMI,
too. What were they thinking? The long tail was constantly chopped off.

Was this driven by the US offices and only suffered here? Was it a result of
US tax regulations regarding inventory accounting? A pop music concept of
product cycle life-time? Or were the business organizations so messed up
that they couldn't properly support their product and serve their markets?

If small firms like BIS and Bridge could/can (at least intend to) keep all
their work in print, how was it the majors couldn't or wouldn't? This
question of availability seems to have an additional aspect now, with the
debate over copyright longevity.

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2014 8:45 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Old Mercury recording venue gets a rebuild

Polygram was foolish not to provide something putting Mercury's best foot
forward. They did the same to Chicago, I am pretty sure, judging from how
bad the Kubelik material sounds as released on that CSO anniversary
compilation put out on RCA. I think both of these were put out in the era
when Polygram was putting out Mercury Golden Imports, so they had 2-track
Dolby-ized dubs that they could have provided, the same tapes they cut the
Golden Imports LPs from. Definitely not ideal, but better than leaving
someone to make their own dubs off scratchy old LPs. Further proof of what a
bad brand-owner Philips was. They never missed an opportunity to avoid
promoting something they owned.