Help for BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  March 2014

BIBFRAME March 2014

BIBFRAME Authorities Draft Specification

Philip Schreur <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:18:21 -0700

Thanks for this new draft, it does make things much clearer.  The issue
of how to indicate role makes sense and the concept of reference
authority will be very useful.  I've already made comments elsewhere
about the use of bf:authority for works so here would like to focus on a
different question.  I'm switching hats to past-chair of PCC and
wondering if you considered a way to indicate rules used to create the
authorizedAccessPoint.  For many systems, this will be an important bit
of information.  For PCC catalogers, this is currently a requirement.
PCC is currently looking to relax its requirement that all controlled
access points be supported by a record in the LC NAF (where we require
conformance to RDA).  If we decided, for instance, to allow headings to
be supported by a link to ISNI, there will be no guarantee that the
authorized form was created in conformance to RDA.  This ability to make
distinctions between an RDA supported heading and one that is not will
be crucial.

Philip Schreur
Stanford University