ARSCLIST  May 2014

ARSCLIST May 2014

Re: classical announcers, was Future of CDs

Larry Friedman <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 May 2014 14:30:05 -0400

I was going to sit back and lurk through this discussion, but it's striking too close to home for a number of reasons: 1) I was a classical radio announcer, and 2) I still listen to classical radio where I live in southeast Florida, which is not, as many people think, such a cultural desert.

There used to be theme programs. Clark mentions the Mapleson cylinders. If I heard those on the air, I'd definitely explode with shock. I enjoy listening to historical recordings, yet they are never - NEVER! - programmed on classical music radio nowadays. I've heard an announcer actually apologize because the last-heard recording was made in the '60s!. You'd think he was discussing something done by Edison himself. Also, there is a preponderance of Italian Baroque music (I call it "Music of the -ellis"), as if anyone who is REALLY cultured only likes to listen to music from 1700; anything beyond that is just for philistines.

In general, pronunciation isn't bad - Americanized, to be sure, but the basic idea is there, but I do not take well to announcers telling repeated stories from their own past, simply revealing their own ignorance for all to hear. I like those announcers who give some background to the music without rattling on and on ad nauseum. There is one announcer on Classical South Florida who combines a beautiful sounding voice with an innate understanding of when to shut his own mouth and let the music speak for itself. At the risk of sounding chauvinistic (I do not think I am), there are more and more feminine announcers. There is certainly nothing wrong with this, but simply for variety's sake I'd like to hear voices of all registers.

All this just show the increasing marginalization of classical music in American life.

One man's opinion.
-Larry