ARSCLIST  May 2014

ARSCLIST May 2014

Re: Advice on otr discography

"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 May 2014 11:03:55 -0400

Thom -- Thanks for your encouragement on the project.  I've amassed a
collection of old time radio lps for many years keeping data about them for
my own reference (in the 70s on 3x5 index cards).  I've been thinking it's
time to do something more public with it if there's interest.

I'd limit my work to commercially released lps - there are so many
cassette, reel to reel and even 8-track issues out there, it would be
difficult to track them down.  I would say that many would need extensive
work even to get them to play now - the lps are more permanent and more
commonly found by collectors and libraries.  There's some overlap with
collectors interested in music works by specific artists (like Bing Crosby)
or individuals that collect personality or memorabilia related to
personalities (such as Bela Lugosi or Marilyn Monroe).

Work does need to be done on what kind of transcriptions are held in
institutions and by non-profit organizations or commercial entities.  I've
heard the American Legion has an extensive run of original transcriptions
for some series they released to stations in the early 50s about the Cold
War, for example.  Getting a handle on institutional holdings would be a
big project all by itself.

Tom Fine - Duke University didn't get any original transcriptions in their
advertising collections - they have microfilm of original scripts.  Over
the past few years, I've donated several transcriptions from my own
collection that fit with their different collecting areas, like women's
history or African-American culture, so they have some to compliment their
archives.

I've used Goldin's site to double-check dates or other information on
specific shows or to see if something is in circulation among collectors.
 I'm going to contact him by mail soon with some questions about Radiola
and some of the quirks of the records he issued and points on the history
of the company.

I'd like to find some people associated with or who have first-hand
knowledge of the other "biggies" in the old time radio reissuing area in
the 70s and 80s like Mark 56, Nostalgia Lane, Golden Age, etc.  Part of the
aim of the discography, for me at least, is a look at how nostalgia was
"sold" to the public through these releases.

rand