BIBFRAME May 2014

Question

Vladimir Skvortsov <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 May 2014 05:50:05 -0400

Dear colleagues,
Let me ask a na&#239;ve question. What is the purpose of publishing library
catalogues as Linked Data?
Most often answer I met: the purpose is to make library catalogues
accessible to Internet search engines like Google, Yandex, Yahoo, Bing etc.
But, first, in fact it could be achieved without RDF and Linked Data as
well, and second, there is a doubt that new library namespaces, as they are
presented, approach library catalogues to that purpose.
Actually for search engines (and browsers) to understand and interpret new
terms correctly, strong formal relationships should be established between
terms from library namespaces and standard ones, i. e. terms accepted as
standard by W3C and main search engine and browser creators. Otherwise
library metadata could be understandable only to library-specific software.
That draws us back to isolated catalogues.
If our purpose is different, that is to include library catalogues into
global knowledge system being organized as Linked Data - which seems more
appropriate task - in this case we also can not achieve our purpose without
establishing relations to standard terms.
Unfortunately I could not find such relations in BIBFRAME vocabularies.
So what is the purpose of BIBFRAME project, as an instance, from this point
of view?
I would greatly appreciate if anyone clarify the situation.