ARSCLIST June 2014

Re: headroom

Paul Stamler <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:02:49 -0600

text/plain

Jamie and all:

I think the words "fast" and "slow" get thrown around much too freely in
audio discussions. Audio tape, for example, had a seriously greater
bandwidth than 44.1kHz digital. At 15ips a good Studer machine
(transformers and all) has a 0 vu bandwidth of 33-35kHz (and 30ips tape
has something like the same bandwidth at +8 vu), while 44.1k digital is
brickwall limited at about 21kHz. 44.1k digital doesn't have screaming
fast transients -- ever. It can't.

Early digital stunk because the converters were terrible; the A/Ds used
hardware brick-wall filtering and converted (by successive
approximation?) at 44.1kHz, with crappy low-level lineazrity, and they
were loaded with jitter besides. Digital didn't get good until 1-bit
converters (which did most of their filtering in the digital domain)
with low jitter were developed.

And yes, the LM318 was head-and-shoulders better than anything on the
market until the NE5534 came along.

Peace,
Paul