ARSCLIST  July 2014

ARSCLIST July 2014

Re: Mac Mini as a HD digital music server

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Jul 2014 21:48:06 -0400

I do like my Squeezebox Touch, but it only does 96/24 and lower. I have a lot of 192/24. It won't
down-convert on the fly. Meanwhile, using my laptop USB connected to my Benchmark DAC1/Pre (which
only does up to 96/24 via the USB) works fine because Foobar2000 down-converts on the fly and I
can't hear a damn bit of difference except maybe very subtle things in excellent recordings thru
headphones.

Where the Squeezebox Touch really excels is interwebs-based radio streams. I can find just about any
stream, and it's easy to add to favorites. It also runs Pandora and Spotify. You can also do all
this via an iPhone and either a line input or an iPhone-to-SPDIF dock, and a variety of free apps.

-- Tom Fine