BIBFRAME  July 2014

BIBFRAME July 2014

Re: Comments on BIBFRAME Profiles

Thu, 3 Jul 2014 17:22:49 -0400

> If nothing else, already too many people have an entirely wrong view of OWL "constraints" and see them as constraining the properties and values rather than providing axioms for reasoning because they are used to closed world thinking.

I would prefer to discuss this using a different language. If someone makes a conscious choice to use alternative semantics with OWL, for good reasons and with an eye to the consequences, that's not "entirely wrong". That's a reasonable choice. That's an example of one of the ways in which new technology is invented.

As far as the "hammer and nail", there are two sides to every story. {grin} It's possible to choose to reuse a given technological tool (which, in the end, is what OWL is) for purposes of efficiency without being confused about what one is doing. It may very well be that OWL is not the best choice for expressing constraint, and we should invent something new (at whatever cost and delay is entailed) but it's perfectly reasonable to make trial of it. Having good use cases in hand for that purpose would certainly serve all interests.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library