ARSCLIST  August 2014

ARSCLIST August 2014

Re: Magnetofonband, was Columbia tape adoption

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:13:57 -0700

Sorry I have only seen this thread two weeks late!  I own a Model K-2
AEG Magnetophon serial number 1025 which is several numbers lower than
the one BASF owned which has been pictured in many publications.  My
machine is more complete and original than theirs because they continued
to use and repair it.  Mine has a 10mm capstan which would correspond to
30 IPS.  The 1 Meter/Sec machines had a 13 mm capstan.  My machine was
obtained by Lee Munsick from  the A.B. Dick company back in the 1950s
which had obtained it from an employee. I believe it might be the
machine AEG sent to GE for their evaluation but that is not the belief
of researcher Friedrich Engles.

To answer Milan Milovanovic's question below, the GE report found that
it had the sound quality of a dictating machine.  In all probability it
was a pre-AC Bias machine which could account for it.  There also could
have been a mix-up in 50 vs 60 cycle current although my machine has
voltage change switch in the power supply.

There is another AEG Magnetophon in the Opalika Alabama town museum,
originally the property of J. Herbert Orr who worked with Fritz Pflaumer
of BASF at the end of the war, and returned home to found Orradio which
made Irish tape.  I have photographs I made of that machine.

There were about ten reels of black oxide tape with my machine but
unfortunately I was only able to obtain three.  The others went to a guy
from Paterson whose idiot son had thought they were some kind of
videotape and had hidden them in a pile of miscellaneous junk.  I think
he was expecting to be able to see pictures when he held them up to the
light.  I could never get them back from the guy -- I think he was
embarassed his son had trashed them.

As for my three reels, they are trapped somewhere in the bowels of the
Vienna Phonogrammarchiv.  I had hand-carried them to Deitrich Schuller
AS A LOAN to get them to Fredrich Engels to transfer them on the special
machine BASF had made.  Instead of returning the tapes to ME, they were
returned to Deitrich who never returned them to me.  The last time I saw
Deitrich he told me to contact the new director of the Archiv who has
never gotten back to me.  IF ANYONE IN VIENNA IS READING THIS, I WOULD
LIKE MY THREE TAPES BACK ALONG WITH THE DUBS I WAS PROMISED.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]