ARSCLIST  August 2014

ARSCLIST August 2014

Re: DAW configuration and reliability

"seva, soundcurrent mastering" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:04:42 -0400

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Karl Fitzke <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Agreeing with Chris Lacinak's paper on Interstitial Error, I believe that
> no matter what we do, it is smart to assume it will occur from
> time-to-time, and so it'd be great to avoid it is as much as practically
> possible and be able to detect when it has occurred as soon as possible.

there are many moving parts here.  Einstein said "make things as simple as
possible, but no simpler".

Mr. Lacinak's paper has taken the idea to the "more simple than possible"
level. (I respect him and the company where he works implicitly, please
note).

comparing outputs of the dual output (distro) from an AD will not give you
any information, as all standalone AD do not buffer enough to cause this
problem.   if you are using a board-type AD, it ain't professional, even if
it is a Benchmark (the only one i've found to actually have pro specs). i
use a Weiss ADC 2, or a Manley ADC (although it injects DC offset, if
archiving at 44.1, has the most euphonious output i've heard, including
Pacific Microsonic). often i digitize through both so that i capture a 44.1
file for client ref without having a 2-step process. (yeah yeah, the manley
goes to a separate system, not the same one).

the Hammerfall card, or whatever IO board you use may be the issue more
than ANY other involved here as it is not subject to any data checking
within the computer system.  none.     i do not use such a board but
instead hand FW directly to the system from the Weiss. with very nice
cables, as FW has a huge amount of error correction going on (compare to
USB).

the CPU and workstation itself?  sure, lots of moving parts, although *i've
not found the computer or OS itself at fault*.  EVER.
the DAW? absolutely.  nearly ever single fracking one of them has done
this, for many different reasons.  the ONLY one which seems to be reliable,
no matter the version, is REAPER simply because it is so very simple at the
code level. at present, testing MixBus (Harrison).  i don't care what OS
you use, although i never have seen any reason to trust Windows.   zero.
Give me Mac OS or Linux any day.

i would look at the IO card and the DAW *first* and assume the (external)
AD and the internal databus of the CPU and "computer" or OS themselves do
not cause such glitches.

seva