ARSCLIST  September 2014

ARSCLIST September 2014

Re: Records Ruin the Landscape

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:32:38 -0400

Mahler was FAMOUS, well-documented and well-liked in his time. He fell out of favor among
anti-semitic Europeans for a while (mainly the Nazi era, and the post-WWII devastation, less than 20
years) but his works were still being played in the US and elsewhere (by Bruno Walter and other
people who knew Mahler first-hand, among others). His fame was regained and enhanced in the
hi-fi/stereo age through a series of new recordings and then "rediscoveries" of various works. To
compare Mahler to someone like Robert Johnson, for instance, is inaccurate. Mahler was established,
liked, had patrons and was able to compose and conduct in relative comfort during a very productive
musical life. He was a good enough and famous enough conductor to have steady gigs with high-profile
orchestras through his adult life. His music was played and enjoyed in its time and was known in the
world of performed classical music (and was known well enough to be specifically banned by Nazis).
Johnson and other blues-cult-discovery artists were almost unknown in their time, at best enjoying
regional success with one or two records.

Aaron makes a good point about popularity and also that the "Canon" always needs refreshing, but
perspective is important. Robert Johnson (or Skip James or Son House, etc) were fringe figures in
their time, who either died young and poor or ended up unable to make a living playing music in most
of their adulthood. Their importance is not to their contemporary time, it is to later times. Robert
Johnson is not important to 1930s blues or 1930s music or indeed 1930s culture, simply because too
few people heard him or knew about him. However, he is very important to 1960s blues and rock and
thus to 1960s and subsequent pop culture. There's one sticky wicket in my argument -- Son House.
Although he enjoyed little more than regional success in his prime, he taught and/or influenced
people like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf who did enjoy wider than regional success in their time
(mainly because mass-media was better developed and they moved to urban centers with better
communications infrastructure) and were able to make a living (and have relatively long careers) as
musicians. Both men credited Son House as a teacher, yet even while he was being credited, House was
living anonymously as a laborer in Rochester NY nursing a bad drinking problem. His "rebirth" was
due to being "rediscovered" by white blues collector-cultists. House also likely taught Robert
Johnson a good many licks, but House himself couldn't say exactly where or how Johnson evolved from
a clumsy kid jamming with and being "cut" by House and Willie Brown to the young man who returned
later and played rings around all comers. This is where the "Crossroads" devil-deal story arose, but
it's more likely that Johnson holed up somewhere with a sympathetic woman feeding and housing him
and practiced his playing until he was the best around, honing an in-born knack for music. Let's be
honest and say that many of the older blues guys played in a "primative" manner to say the least,
probably because they were more interested in their next drink or their next bedmate than their next
hours-long practice session. That's not to say the end result, at least in their recordings, isn't
entertaining and compelling, but Johnson stands out for his musical skill (which is probably what
caught the ear of other musically-skilled/aware people like John Hammond and Eric Clapton).

-- Tom Fine