ARSCLIST  September 2014

ARSCLIST September 2014

Re: Asch vs Lomax- was Duke Ellington accidental stereo comparison

"Barton, Matthew" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Sep 2014 19:23:47 -0400

For the Lomaxes and others, the recordings WERE of consequence, and not simply an efficient way to gather song texts. Only on their first couple of field trips, when they had almost nothing to work with, did they record only a verse and a chorus and write down the rest of a song text. They realized early on that they were recording not only songs but forms and styles. This aspect of folk performance comes through in recordings but is the hardest to thing to get down on paper. The brilliant transcriptions that Ruth Crawford Seeger made for the Lomaxes' book "Our Singing Country" make this apparent. I think Alan would have said that he was not just recording sounds, or even songs, but people.

The quality of Alan's recordings improved enormously when he was able to switch to tape, and some of them are truly exceptional. Listen to some of the one-mic recordings that he made in Italy and Spain in the 1950s, such as "La Partenza" an astonishing performance by a group of Genoese longshoreman recorded in a waterfront bar in 1954, or "Caramiles" by a small group of local church musicians in the Balearic islands in 1952. To hear how far both he and field recordings had come in in 17 years, compare the mono, disc-based recordings he made in 1942 of shape note singers in Alabama with tape-based stereo recording he made there of the same songs and many of the same singers in 1959.

Alan did most of his disc-based recordings in his Library of Congress fieldwork from 1933 to 1942, and had to cope with the local power supplies of the day, if any, or his car battery. They were operating with limited time and funds, and were often hundreds of miles from the nearest source of more recording blanks, so multiple takes were out of the question, though there are false starts and second tries occasionally. That train-recording of Son House and group is one of my favorites--and for me, the train is a highlight, not a blemish. I may be kidding myself, but it always sounds like its passing by on the beat. Maybe Alan heard it that way too, but I think he also knew that the group was giving their all, and he later wrote that he felt it was one of the best performances that he ever recorded. He might have gotten another take without a train going by, but the feeling might have been lost. This was one of the first times that he had been able to take a 16" disc recorder into the field, and so he could let the musicians play for as long as it felt good to them. I think that recording of "Walking Blues" is over six minutes in all.

It went beyond a "fascination" with extra-musical sound. For these performers this was the world in which they played and heard music, and if some of that made it's way into a recording, so much the better., and sometimes it was worth going the extra mile to try and capture it. The name escapes me now, but there's a mono recording of a man singing and cutting wood that Alan did in the Caribbean in 1962 made on an early Nagra where he mixed down three channels of the voice, the axe hitting the wood, and the ambient sound of the forest. Similarly, Alan tried recording Fred McDowell in different parts of his house, but got the best sound on his porch, where he had the least control over background noise. A bed of crickets chirps away on those performances, but everybody I've played those recordings for loves the crickets.

Matthew Barton
Library of Congress