Help for BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  October 2014

BIBFRAME October 2014

Re: 7XX fields without relator terms (fwd)

"Adam L. Schiff" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Oct 2014 17:53:10 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

1XX is not necessarily creator either.  There are some situations where the
entity recorded in the 1XX is not a creator, but is otherwise associated with a
work, and the cataloging rules tell us that the work can be named with that
entity.  An example in RDA are defendants in prosecutions.  RDA 6.29.1.21
Criminal Proceedings and Appeals tells us (and this was the same in AACR2):

For the official proceedings and records of criminal trials, impeachments,
courts-martial, etc., and the proceedings of appeals in these types of cases,
construct the authorized access point by combining (in this order):
a) the authorized access point representing the person or body prosecuted (see
9.19.1 for persons or 11.13.1 for corporate bodies, as applicable)
b) the preferred title for the proceedings, etc. (see 6.19.2).

If more than one person or body is prosecuted, construct the authorized access
point representing the work by combining (in this order):
a) the authorized access point representing the first defendant, etc., named in
the preferred source of information (see 9.19.1 for persons or 11.13.1 for
corporate bodies, as applicable)
b) the preferred title for the proceedings, etc. (see 6.19.2).

In RDA, defendants are considered "Other Persons, Families, or Corporate Bodies
Associated with a Work" (See RDA 19.3 and Appendix I.2.2).  They are not
creators, but they would be recorded in the 1XX field.  So I think we need to
even be careful about assuming that 1XX always corresponds to a creator.
Probably the safest thing to do when no relationship designator is present in
1XX and 7XX is to use bf:agent.  But since most 1XX are creators, I don't
object to that mapping as much as I do to mapping all 7XX to contributor.

Adam Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries

On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Guenther, Rebecca wrote:

> [...]
>
> What is most important, I agree, is the role the entity plays in relation to
> the resource. Yes, it's a problem that 1XX is mapped to creator, while 7XX to
> contributor, since many of the entities in 7XX are creators and it is just
> the fact that 1XX isn't repeatable that they are mapped to contributor
> (because there's no way to tell which of the 7XX are creators).  This was
> always a problem for mapping MARC to Dublin Core for instance (and MODS chose
> not to make a distinction between creator and contributor). It is a problem
> with existing data and we would be served better if the roles had been
> recorded (but it was policy not to-except in certain cases-- rather than the
> ability to do it in the format). RDA certainly puts more importance on naming
> the role.  But whether the particular role is considered creator or
> contributor varies according to the type of resource-and for AV materials it
> is particularly challenging because there are so many different
> contributions.  RDA Appendix I tells you what roles to consider creator and
> what contributor, but there may not be general agreement on that for all
> kinds of resources. For instance, for audio materials, if you have popular
> music the performer has been considered the creator, but for musical works
> the creator is  the conductor-- but RDA Appendix I tells us that performers
> are contributors.  I might argue that the distinction of creator vs
> contributor isn't useful because it's subjective and depends on the
> particular form of material and that it is the particular role that allows
> you to make these distinctions.
>
> This challenge is expressed well in the AV BIBFRAME report:
>
> "The creation of time-based media is rarely the product of a single
> "creator."  Unlike the case of
> printed materials, which are typically the product of one or at most a small
> handful of agents, who generally share the same role (e.g. multiple authors
> of a book or journal article), the creation of a typical studio album, film,
> television, or radio program can involve several personal or corporate agents
> performing various functions in the creation of content. Depending on the
> type of content, the roles of these "primary" agents might include performer,
> screenwriter, director, producer, editor, cameraperson, actor, speaker,
> composer, recording engineer,
> interviewer, etc. There are many more additional agents who might be
> considered additional "contributors." Other
> agents fulfilling a wider range of roles may also contribute to the creation,
> but be considered "additional"
> agents. Therefore, identifying the primary "creator" and supporting
> "contributors," for this content, as is often required in library cataloging,
> is very challenging, and can lead to inconsistent or even misleading
> descriptions." [1]
>
> Rebecca
>
> [1] Kara Van Maissen, BIBFRAME AV Modeling Study

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900