Help for PCCTG1 Archives

PCCTG1 Archives

PCCTG1@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCTG1 Home

PCCTG1  October 2014

PCCTG1 October 2014

Re: Strategic Topic: Broader participation in authority creation

"Adam L. Schiff" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Oct 2014 08:45:58 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

On the first recommendation, which I could support, I think one might want members who could just contribute certain kinds of names (perhaps just personal names, for example), or "simple" names (although how to do define that I'm not sure).  I think the second one is problematic.  Making catalogers check two separate authority files is not very efficient, and is bound to create duplication of names.  And how would those non-NACO members be trained to be sure they understand NACO guidelines and RDA?  I see the second recommendation as very problematic.

Adam

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014, Beth Picknally Camden wrote:

> Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 11:33:29 -0400
> From: Beth Picknally Camden <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [PCCTG1] Strategic Topic:  Broader participation in authority
>     creation
>
> Everyone:
>
> It's time for one last strategic theme for discussion.   I would like us to
> look at Recommendation 3 for the ACI report: "Significantly expand the ranks
> of those who can create
> identifiers/contribute authority data".   They propose two ways of expanding:
>
> * Expand NACO participation with a "NACO lite" level of participation
> * Endorse the creation of a separate, parallel authority file to which
>   non-NACO members could make contributions
>
> What are the pros/cons of these options?   Should we do both, or neither?
> Other thoughts on this recommendations?
>
> -Beth
>
> --
> Beth Picknally Camden
> Goldstein Director of Information Processing
> University of Pennsylvania Libraries
> http://bpcamden.wordpress.com/
>
> "You must be the change you wish to see in the world".
> --Mahatma Gandhi

Adam L. Schiff
Principal Cataloger
University of Washington Libraries