ARSCLIST  November 2014

ARSCLIST November 2014

Re: Lack of audience

Don Cox <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Nov 2014 20:57:15 +0100

On 19/11/2014, Paul Urbahns wrote:

> Tom Fine wrote:
>> The only sort of music productions that can justify big budgets
>> anymore
> are pop-culture
>> related (pop music, rap-pop music, country-pop music, rock-pop
>> music).
> That's what the
>> droves with open wallets want to hear, it's simple market economics.
>
> I am not in favor of big government but Tom's comments about European
> Orchestras being government employees really is probably true and it
> has been something going on for decades. I have quite a few good
> records by radio orchestras made back in the late 50s and 60s. These
> fine (mostly) German orchestras have played the standard concert
> repertoire over and over again to the point the players could probably
> perform it in their sleep.

I believe German orchestras get grants from local governments.

In the UK, the Arts Council is one source of funds, and this gets its
money from the Lottery. There is some corporate sponsorship.

The BBC gets its money from commercial activities such as the sale of
DVDs, and from the TV license. This is a rather odd scheme, approved but
not run by the government (the BBC is an independent corporation).
Everyone who owns a TV must have a license for it.

Originally the license was for radios. It may have been based on the
precedent of the Dog License (which is now abolished).

In some ways the TV license is like a bus fare -- everyone who gets onto
a bus must pay a fare, and you can be taken to court if you don't.

Anyway, that's what pays for the Proms -- supplemented by ticket sales.

> Now the big shame in the United States is the lack of public knowledge
> of the Boston Symphony or even the Boston Pops. Regardless of what you
> think of Pops standards, I don't think anyone would deny that Arthur
> Fiedler probably made classical music more popular in this country
> than anyone other one person.
>
> I understand that the old Boston Pops (and Boston Symphony) programs
> are preserved but cannot be used on television because of cost of
> paying the musicians, and a lack of audience. Even the Fourth Of July
> concert each year was sold to a major network, but they refuse to air
> the concert because of a lack of audience. All we have on TV now days
> for a classical Fourth of July show is the government funded program
> in Washington paid for with your tax money on PBS.
>
> I think if the old Boston Pops/Symphony shows were on the air it would
> generate interest in concert recordings.

Nowadays it would make more sense to put them on the web, and/or sell
Blu-Rays.

> Here in the sticks of Kentucky, if there is a PBS classical music
> show, like the excellent broadcasts of the Discovery Orchestra, our
> local TV usually airs them at 2 or 3 AM. Not a big audience then.

Can't you listen later on their web site ?

> As Tom says, "it's simple market economics" but as music appreciation
> and band programs are quickly being eliminated from school systems, I
> wish there was some sort of venues (either electronic or public) where
> young people today could learn who Bach, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven
> are. The problem, as I see it, nobody is baking new pie (expanding the
> market) that everyone wants a economic slice of.

Most orchestras do a lot of outreach now.

Regards
--
Don Cox