BIBFRAME November 2014

Re: Cataloging applications

"J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 9 Nov 2014 09:30:40 -0800

>I think we want to avoid most copy cataloging in the Linked Data
>context.

I don't see how copy cataloguing can be avoided.  Transcription may be
reduced, but one must still match item in hand to data.  Not every
publication has standard numbers.  Some standard numbers are wrong.
The data to which one links must have been input by somebody.

Original cataloguing can not be avoided.  In our experience, at least
10% of any library's collection requires original cataloguing, e.g.,
Aunt Madge's scrapbook donated to the local hist