BIBFRAME December 2014

Re: bf:event

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Dec 2014 06:31:11 -0800

On 12/8/14 6:33 PM, Steven Folsom wrote:
> The part I’m having trouble with is that the expected value of a
> bf:subject is a bf:Work or bf:Authority… which reads to me like a
> bf:Event cannot be the value of a bf:subject. Will we need two
> bf:resources for events, one as the event (bf:event), one for the
> event as subject (bf:Topic? or bf:Agent?)… ?

It looks like BF therefore requires you to treat the event as a
bf:Authority, just as you are required to create a bf:Authority node for
persons and subjects. This is partly a quirk of RDF - for a given
property, it's best to have only one range. There are ways to have a
choice of ranges in OWL, but it gets very complex and moving to OWL
rules for this would make developing BF or BF-like applications more
difficult.

The bf:subject, however, has two domains, as you mention: bf:Work and
bf:Authority. In RDF, multiple domains are interpreted as the
intersection of the two, which means that BF is saying that any subject
is inferred to be -- at the same time -- both a bf:Work and a
bf:Authority. The documentation has "OR" between them. Again, this can
be done with OWL but not with RDF.

If the purpose of the "X or Y" in BF domains is to provide a choice,
then as written this is not what is being said. There is no way to
*limit* your data to one or more domain in RDF because RDF supports
inferencing but not constraining. See my recent blog post:

     http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2014/11/classes-in-rdf.html

That said, obviously there is a real need to enforce certain
constraints, which is why there is a movement to develop an actual
constraint/validation language in RDF. The upshot is that RDF does not
allow you to say what your data has to be, only how it can be
interpreted once it finds its way to the open web.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net