BIBFRAME January 2015

Re: 2-tier BIBFRAME

Michael Ayres <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Jan 2015 12:28:01 -0600

Martynas wrote:
>>I haven't seen any actual MARC data, but if someone has a simple example, we could work on that.
>>
>>Martynas

Warning--RANT ahead:
OK--You've got be kidding!!  Why is someone who has never seen any actual MARC data trying to mess with restructuring the framework of our library catalogs?!?
This is preposterous!  As someone who has spent years cataloging (in both academic and public institutions) as well as managing local systems and library catalog data--I, for one, find this whole 'BIBFRAME' project laughable.  Why do the 'powers that be' think that we even want our local catalogs to be semantically connected to the web or have all of our data linked?!  But go ahead and just keep on theorizing, while those of us in the trenches keep serving our local customers' needs so very well with MARC (and AACR2).
[rant over--no need to respond to this]