BIBFRAME February 2015

Re: 2-tier BIBFRAME

"J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Jan 2015 22:53:01 -0800

Simon says:

>> That's debatable.
>
>Not in any meaningful way.

The future may be longer, but it may not have human life as we now know
it.

>If your company goes out of business, what happens to all the cataloging
>data that your customers have downloaded?

Those with systems which can not output MARC, or those who have a
systems crash, would be in difficulty. We do not catalogue on OCLC
because they will not allow us to retain records. We used to need to
retain them for emulating print or microform catalogues and indexes,
but now we need to retain them for replacement purposes.

Also, often more than one client uses the same record.

   __ __ J. McRee (Mac) Elrod ([log in to unmask])
  {__ | / Special Libraries Cataloguing HTTP://www.slc.bc.ca/