MODS February 2015

Re: typeOfResource for digitzed letter

Thomas Scheffler <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Feb 2015 22:31:19 +0100

Am 04.02.15 um 21:55 schrieb Strong, Marcy:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am looking for some guidance related to the <typeOfResource> element.
> I have a collection of digitized letters that I am working on and am
> wavering between the use of “text” vs. “still image.” The letters are
> clearly text and if I was actually describing the letters themselves,
> then it would seem an easy decision. However, I am working with TIFF
> files of pictures of the letters, for which “still image” seems more
> appropriate to the file type.
>
> My question is which version of the material I should have in mind when
> using this field: the original versions or the digitized?

Hi,

my personal opinion is to use what ever fits to the rest of your
metadata set. If you want to describe the original letter, e.g. you want
to name the author of the letter, choose text. It does not depend on how
the text is represented and which computer program is needed to display
the text or if you need an extra OCR step to extract any characters.
Text (physical object) is text (ASCII) is text (Word document) is text
(TIFF image) is text...

regards,

Thomas
--