Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: CD booklet loan needed Duke Ellington 3CD set

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:28:36 -0400

I agree with Mike's lament, and I have tried to push for more complete PDF material at HDTracks.
They are not to blame -- they are under requirement to provide only what the labels give them. Sony
and Warner almost always just give a low-rez PDF of some cover art (sometimes not related to an
actual cover on an actual physical product or CD booklet). UMG has gone this route more often
recently, but some of the Verve jazz and all of the Mercury Living Presence downloads include full
booklet scans. I think some of the RCA Living Stereo downloads also include a booklet scan, to
Sony's credit. Some of the new Blue Note reissues included deluxe PDFs with new "putting it in
perspective" essays plus the original LP notes. There will be new MLP downloads, the newly
remastered material from the new box set. I have provided nice scans of the LP covers for PDFs, and
I am told they will be included in the downloads. One label that includes full PDFs on HDTracks is
Smithsonian Folkways. And they are high-quality PDF's at that. There are also high-quality PDFs with
the Tom Petty "Damn The Torpedoes" deluxe anniversary reissue download and the Paul McCartney "Band
On The Run" download. Also Reference Recording, I think all of their downloads include high quality
PDFs of their booklets.

Just like CDText, with industry agreed-upon metadata standards, should have been mandatory from Day
1 of Red Book, high-resolution PDFs of physical media packaging and booklet copy should be mandated
as standard industry practice for downloads. But, just like with CDs coming out with no text and
thus metadata being consigned to "crowdsource" chaos, the PDF documentation horse got out of the
barn when it wasn't mandated for iTunes.

By the way, a listmember was kind enough to send me a scan of that Ellington booklet, and I am happy
to have it because it's almost all new words vs the earlier "The Blanton-Webster Band" box set. This
newer set is a nice product, alas it's already out of print.

-- Tom Fine