ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: Distressing data point for upcoming ARSC tape playback workshop

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Mar 2015 15:43:08 -0500

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the role of iron as a catalyst in
vinegar syndrome. I understand that it is. That is why steel film reels
and steel film cans are NOT recommended for acetate elements.

As has been stated elsewhere, getting the gasses away from the acetate
elements is key. Having good air exchange in the vaults is very
important as apparently the off-gassing can act to spread VS to adjacent
elements. It's not like a biological virus/bacteria, but rather a
chemical reaction where the off-gassing vapors are a catalyst.

I believe the recommendation is vented plastic cans, stored horizontally
(and arranged so drips do not enter).

The only 111 that I have seen with serious vinegar shrinkage was from
the Mullin-Palmer collection which probably dated to the beginning of
its production in the late 1940s. The outer layers at first look like
they were almost slit as 0.20 inch width instead of 0.25!

And YES on Kodak tape. It all stinks (in the olfactory sense, I'm not
making judgment otherwise), but I have been able to play all the reels
I've been sent.

Cheers,

Richard