ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: maybe the end of ripoff "songwriting"

"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400

One of the previous posts mentioned De La Soul and the case against them by
Gilbert O'Sullivan.

Let's set the record straight and look at a couple of cases that
demonstrate why sampling is such a controversial area.

The case by Gilbert O'Sullivan was actually against Biz Markie for his song
"Alone Again".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_P-v1BVQn8

Now, take a listen to Biz Markie's riff on the tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OebqNsNRBtU

There was a separate case against De La Soul for their use of bits of "You
Showed Me" by the Turtles in "Transmitting Live From Mars" on a fairly
short transition track from their lp "3 Feet High and Rising".

Here's the original by the Turtles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPGyzmgvk4

Here's what De La Soul did with the Turtles, combining it with a French
language instruction record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cUibv9Q-3g

I would argue that both of these tracks do represent original work - uses
of short "riffs" is, in my opinion, the kind of thing that Fair Use should
encourage and where wrong-headed application of copyright law stifles new
original work.

In the case of Biz Markie, he uses a short riff from the O'Sullivan tune
and an off-key rendition of a few words of the chorus to create a
self-depreciating rap about himself as a kind of doofus.  I'm familiar with
the O'Sullivan song and I didn't catch the actual recording sample the
first couple of times I heard the track.  De La Soul turns a short riff in
the Turtles song into a mood piece, removing it from it's original
context.  In both cases, the songs aren't constructed at all like the
original songs they are sampling.

De La Soul is really a case to think about closely when considering use of
samples.  The group used samples from multiple recordings in just about
every song they made, latching on to riffs and sounds like a vacuum
cleaner, mixing them up, and reworking them into something very new and
trend-setting at the time.

Because of this sampling, De La Soul's back catalogue has been kept out of
circulation on digital services like iTunes, creating problems for faculty
and researchers that want to use this material in their courses that deal
with social issues, rap, or recent US cultural history.

Consider this example by De La Soul.  Click on it and listen to it before
reading the rest of this message and test yourself to see if you can
identify all of the samples they use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1CaN4thI5w

.
.
.
.
.

"Eye Know" uses Steely Dan's "Peg", "Make This Young Lady Mine" by the Mad
Lads, Otis Redding's whistle from "Dock of the Bay", and a drum part from
"Sing a Simple Song" by Sly and the Family Stone.

Does "Eye Know" really resemble substantial parts of any of the recordings
used?  Today, with every tiny sample having to be licensed, could a song
like "Eye Know" be created without breaking the bank of some indie group or
rapper?

How about the 1985 tune "What You're Thinking (Pure Energy)" by Information
Society?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhBiN0Mdvw

Should the band have to pay the estate of Leonard Nimony for the repeated
use of two words  and CBS-Parmount who owns the original "Star Trek" tv
episodes these two words came from, even though the two-word Nimoy phrase
is essential to the "hook" of the song?

For decades, classical, jazz and "pop" artists have appropriated lines,
hooks, riffs, and beats from other musicians.  Creativity just works that
way - you get something stuck in your head, play with it, add to it and
make it your own.  Think of the number of rock tunes that use a "Bo Diddley
beat" or the repeated phrases or riffs that pop up in big band or jazz
recordings.

In the days of big band, jazz or standards, you would take musical phrases
and play them yourself on your own instrument - it might be the same
instrument used in the original and it might not.

What copyright law and Fair Use hasn't kept up with is the simple fact that
a vinyl disc or a digital sample in a computer or other kind of device is a
type of instrument - it lets you capture the soundscape around you,
manipulate it and make it into your own original work.

Granted, some uses of samples are closer to rip-offs or slight remakes of
other recorded songs.  Case in point, "I'll Be Missing You", by Puff Daddy
and Faith Evans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05H5mBwXcMA

... which uses pretty much the same overall song structure and chorus of
 "Every Breath You Take" by the Police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs

The Police, by way, have said their song was influenced by Gene Pitney's
"Every Breath I Take":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWF3Y2VEl2E

Should Gene Pitney sue both of them?

Some would argue that some of the most creative work in pop and rap was
happening in the 1980s and 90s before several court cases limited what
artists would sample and play around with - records and cds of licensed
"beats" took over that were "safe" to use - the free range sampling of a
group like De La Soul just wasn't possible anymore and recorded music is
blander for it, the same beats and riffs popping up over and over again.

Some artists, wanting to get beyond what's legally "safe" to use, have
taken to releasing tracks or entire albums outside of commercial outlets.
The most well known example - Danger Mouse's "Grey Album", which
recontextualizes the Beatles's "White Album", mixing it with Jaz-Z's "Black
Album":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqgw8jUrcSA&list=PLF27428868443F302

The Wikipedia article summarizes some of the controversy around the album
and the response to it by EMI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grey_Album

rand