ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: Phono pre-amps for 78 rpm and transcription discs

John Schroth <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:38:53 -0400

Hi David:

First, I would also suggest looking into the KAB EQS MK12. I have had
one for quite a few years and like it very much. It is the next best
option compared to the Millennia version which was just to pricey to
justify. Granted, it is not something you can install and use without
some background or knowledge, but it will grow as you and your student's
knowledge and capability grows.

Your original question has taken a slight curve in the replies, but what
some of the other people on the ARSC List-serve are saying about
students working with a collection of old legacy-format audio disks has
relevance. I have been working with a local university for many years in
digitizing both their in-house archival audiovisual materials as well as
a special audio collection they have on local radio history. Rochester
had one of the first 50,000 watt AM stations in the country and the
University was gifted a huge collection of transcription disks from the
station. They have transcription disks dating back to the late 1030's,
unique interviews with the likes of Jimmy Durante, Elvis, Roosevelt,
John Wayne, just to name a few, when they came to Rochester. There are
many many priceless unique recordings of people and personalities who
played a huge role in local Rochester history. I have been through three
generations of library directors. One Director prior to me becoming
involved, had purchased a Rec-O-Cut turntable. Students from the
communications program were encouraged to come in to do history
projects, making compilations of recordings from the original
transcription disks. None of the students had any experience on how to
properly handle and play back the disks. Little was known about the
damage they were causing. What I'm left with now, is a collection in
far, far less than average condition. The task of getting some of the
content off these disks, from a preservation standpoint, is very
challenging and the audible results in many cases are less than desirable.

No one has asked you about your personal skill-level or knowledge in
working with disk recordings. If you're still learning AND if the
content in your disk collection is what you consider to be have
intrinsic or historical value and/or the recordings are unique AND you
feel it would be worth the investment in protecting your materials from
damage, then I would highly suggest these two options. Getting a
professional to digitize your collection first before you open it up to
the students.  OR  Have someone come in, who is capable of proving
instruction to you and several others, so that you can properly teach
the students how to use both the media and the equipment properly. You
really want to try and avoid the challenges that the university I am
working with now has.

You have no doubt put some time, research and money into acquiring
turntables that you feel would properly play back the disk collection.
You are willing to invest in proper preamps for the turntables. It is
worth the money to either pay someone first to properly preserve the
media, prior to letting inexperienced hands start working with it, or
pay to get some instruction from someone who can help you and your
students properly use and care for the media - which is the most
important piece of this equation.

Just my two cents....

John Schroth

---