ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: Record cataloging tools. Excerpts from longer works

Steve Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:30:12 -0400

I don't have the time to go into all the issues at the moment, so I'll
discuss them one at a time.

Objective:  For all versions of the same music to file alphabetically by
primary performer.  My rule is that vocalists are always listed in score
order- S, A, T, B.   Mezzos and contraltos are always altos.

Excerpts from longer works.

There are two options:

List the selections in alphabetical order
List the selections in the sequence of the work.

Without getting into where the preceding orchestral material begins, there
are various points in the text of arias and, particularly, ensembles, where
the sung text begins on different records.  The cataloger has to decide what
the true starting point of the selection is.  Otherwise, when filed
alphabetically, the same selection will be separated in the catalog.

Language.  For English, German and the Romance languages, the original
language is assumed unless otherwise specified.  There should be a separate
field that specifies the language if other than the original one.  In that
way, a given selection can be sorted by title and performer or be divided
into language groups before sorting, as W.E.R.M. does, this by a check box
choice.

For Russian, Czech, Danish, etc., the English title is used but is assumed
to be in the original language unless otherwise specified.   The original
language can be used troughout so long as there is a check box option to do
it either way.

There should be a separate field for where the selection is located within
the work.  In "The Bartered Bride," for instance, the selections are
numbered.  In Wagner, they aren't.
One solution is to specify an edition of the vocal score (for many works,
there is no orchestral score available.) and use page numbers- see the 1936
Gramophone Shop Encyclopedia's listings of Wagner.

There should be a web site with complete opera libretti with the standard
translations- by now, most used for 78 recordings are out of copyright.
It's then an easy matter to type in a phrase in the original or for a
translated text to identify the selection.  Those libretti should have the
vocal score page number added throughout, at least for definable chunks of
the music.  This is a tool that is badly needed.

Arias should be listed by first line, not title.  There should be a tab that
brings the user to a table of cross-references for aria names as used on
records when the opening phrase was not used.

The composer, larger work and selection should be listed in that order.

That's a start.

Steven Smolian