ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: ORAL HISTORY WORKSHOP, SAN DIEGO AREA, MARCH 19

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 2015 12:47:57 -0500

Hi Bert:

This is a good resource! Thanks for pointing it out.

Modern oral history recordists have much higher-fidelity possibilities even with a cheap digital
recorder. The built-in mics tend to be better than what was on the typical cassette recorder of the
70s and 80s, and you no longer have to worry about "dime store brand" cassettes, tape slowing to a
crawl before batteries run out, etc. What you DO have to do today is be mindful of battery level,
make sure the thing is actually recording (and double-check to verify this condition frequently) and
understand that most of these things record in stereo for better or worse, so placement of the
built-in mic is somewhat important if you want good audibility. I think we need to train oral
history interviewers NOT to sit across a table from someone. Rather, they should sit caddy-corner to
each other and the recorder should be place so each person is facing the "front" of a microphone. If
the interviewee is a quiet talker, the recorder should be placed close to them. Interviewers should
be taught DON'T TOUCH THE RECORDER WHILE IT'S RECORDING UNLESS YOU MUST. This seems to have never
been told to people in the cassette era! Many cassettes I've transferred have long segments of
rubbing and scrapes, loud bumping noises and other evidence that someone had their hand on or near
the microphone or recorder. Sheesh!

-- Tom Fine