ARSCLIST  March 2015

ARSCLIST March 2015

Re: Distressing data point for upcoming ARSC tape playback workshop

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 2015 13:18:27 -0500

Hi Dennis:

Assuming this text of the poem is accurate ...
http://allpoetry.com/The-Groundhog

Yes, indeed! And by the way, I had an even more similar experience to the poem with an actual
groundhog corpse during my paperboy days. The roadkill was in thick weeds, of course by the side of
a steep uphill incline. I watched for it daily, hoping the town highway crew had picked it up or
something had eaten it or dragged it away. No luck, and the summer wore on and the stink got worse.
Everything described of the groundhog in the poem happened along my paper route, including the fact
that the still semi-stinky "bony sodden hulk" of the creature's denser parts was still there the
next spring. I probably did think a thought or two when I saw it, but probably not about Greece,
China or St. Theresa. I wouldn't say "my hand capped a withered heart" either, more like my nose was
relieved by the greatly lessened stink.

-- Tom Fine