BIBFRAME March 2015

Re: Linked data

Steven Folsom <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Mar 2015 20:35:31 +0000

[This thread has headed in a different direction than when I started this
email earlier today. Clearly, I’m sending it anyway.]

+1 for embracing a more open world approach and minimizing the us and them
narrative.

If our cataloging wants to keep up with the current rate of scholarly
communication, never mind cultural heritage resources, we need to more
easily pull in external data. I’m not trying to be an alarmist; I’m
excited — there’s a lot of really good data already on the web (just as
good as the library community is able to produce). Equally important, we
can more easily contribute useful data back to these/our communities.

As part of Linked Data for Libraries, a Mellon Funded Grant between
(Cornell, Stanford, and Harvard), we have been trying to demonstrate the
value of linked data within the library domain through discrete use cases
(check them out at ld4l.org). I’d like to draw particular attention to Use
Case 2 and Use Case 4 as demonstrations of how we can benefit
from/contribute to an open world assumption.

- In a demonstration of Use Case 2 we have prototyped linking between
BIBFRAME for theses to external person data stored in VIVO, a faculty
profiling system. The benefit here is that we can use rich data from VIVO
to give context about the department and research network that influenced
the creation of the theses. Conversely, the BIBFRAME data can help
complete a faculty member’s teaching activities within VIVO profile. This
model could very easily be translated to any other content type and any
other RDF data source for persons. Here’s a presentation for more details,
https://wiki.duraspace.org/download/attachments/68060801/Cornell%20UC2%20De
mo.pdf?)version=1&modificationDate=1424731193864&api=v2

	- In a demonstration Use Case 4 we are attempting to describe Hip Hip
Flyers from our Rare and Manuscripts collection using BIBFRAME and
connecting to LinkedBrainz (the RDF source for MusicBrainz.org). Here is a
case where we can take advantage of the music community’s knowledge of
performers and related entities, so that we not only don’t have to create
LCNAF’s for some of the artists… we can discover more relationships to
other RDF resources, e.g. LinkedBrainz makes use of dbpedia URIs. Another
important point to make is that we’re also using the Music Ontology for
the performers so that others modeling similar resources on the web can
use our data more easily. Here’s a presentation for more details,
https://wiki.duraspace.org/download/attachments/68060801/LD4LUC4.pptx?versi
on=1&modificationDate=1425016286353&api=v2

Changing directions a little bit... I want to point out that in linked
data classes and properties themselves have URI’s that resolve to
descriptions to how they are used. Linked data is self describing in a way
that MARC (especially fixed fields will never be). Even though it’s
important to build communities, it’s not sustainable to make someone get
in touch with us every time there is a question about our data model.

--
Steven Folsom

Discovery Metadata Librarian
Cornell University Library