BIBFRAME March 2015

Re: Linked data

"Svensson, Lars" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Mar 2015 16:23:38 +0000

All,

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:04 AM, Ross wrote:

> I'm not sure what you're asking here.  You mentioned that we can point an
> author or publisher to VIAF or DBPedia, but why didn't you mention that we
> could link the work?  Or the edition?
> And then if that link to the work is linked to dbpedia, and dbpedia links to
> another dataset that links the works that were inspired or adapted from the
> original work, or lists the places where the action takes place in the original
> work, or citations to/from this work, or any countless numbers of possibly
> useful or useless or somewhere in between links between data.
> You're right that we likely won't get access to the fulltext although I'm not
> convinced that would be terribly useful, anyway.  But we are quite likely to be
> able to have access and contribute to a lot more metadata to find the
> relationships *between* resources, which, in turn, opens up discovery.

I think this captures one very important point: Linked Data is not about RDF, it's about the links, i. e. making explicit how entities are related to one another (or not related, as in owl:differentFrom). Theoretically, it's possible to do this in MARC, at least to a certain extent, cf. all the linking done in 5XX $0 in the GND record about Hermann Hesse [1] (the link relation is in $9, a leading "4:" says it's a relation, the four-letter code is the relation type).

However, it's tricky to link to anything not having a library identifier and it's hard for people to link to and draw inferences from this information. This is where RDF enters the equation, as a non-library data format that others can use for linking to our data and then draw conclusions from it.

RDF alone cannot solve all library problems, but it's good as a lingua franca if we want to interact with organisations outside of the library ecosystem. I guess there will be a business model for companies creating linked MARC from linked RDF (not all RDF is linked...).

For title data, the question seems to be how far you are prepared to disintegrate the bibliographic description. FRBR uses three parts (WEM), BIBFRAME two (Work + Instance), "traditional" cataloguing one. Data creation and reuse (and thus interoperability) depends on what model you use for your data. MARC and RDF are not data models but only containers.

So what we need to do is to figure out how far we want to split our data apart and how to link it back together again, possibly also linking to other datasets. The central concept is the link. In future, much metadata work will be to create those links.

[1] http://d-nb.info/11855042X/about/marcxml

Best,

Lars