Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  April 2015

ARSCLIST April 2015

Re: lacquer disks with the white stuff on them

Jeff Willens <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:15:46 -0400

The technique I used on a few hundred of these discs was alternating between
simple mineral oil and a soft sponge to work it in, and Windex to remove it
(using a different sponge), rinsing with distilled water. Each disc came out
remarkably clean visually, audibly, and provided a very clear transfer.

However, before using this on a given disc, I had to inspect the edges
carefully to make sure the lacquer coating was not peeling away from the
metal core. If it was, I had to be extra careful not to get any moisture
underneath. I did not lose or damage a single disc.

Jeff