ARSCLIST April 2015

Re: Disasters at Commercial Archives

Louis Hone <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Apr 2015 09:39:12 -0400

​While we're on the subject of Montreal, on 23 July 1967, a disastrous
nitrate fire broke out in the vaults of the National Film Board of Canada.
The film archives were stored in a temporary warehouse constructed with a
corrugated tin roof and supported by fir posts. At a distance of 300 feet,
the heat was so intense that no one could approach the building. In four
hours, it was totally destroyed. Storing nitrate film in a building
supported by fir posts was not the brightest idea. Millions of feet of
film were
destroyed and the Canadian government was squarely blamed for its lack of
concern for Canada’s film heritage. More than half of the films produced in
Canada between 1890 and 1950 were lost.

Louis