ARSCLIST  April 2015

ARSCLIST April 2015

Re: Disasters at Commercial Archives

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Apr 2015 11:36:11 -0400

Hi Dave:

I suspect record companies are tight-lipped because their lawyers tell them to be tight-lipped.
Insurance settlements often include non-disclosure agreements, for one thing. As to why that is,
you'll need to ask legal experts -- I suspect one of the reasons is to silence associated liability
claims by artists and other stake-holders. Basically, anyone can sue anyone with a shred of
information. Whether the suit holds up is another matter, but it costs money to defend it. Silence
is golden in these matters.

Another angle is, how would you feel if you were a living artist and you found out that some sort of
negligent act destroyed your master tapes? Even if you had no legal standing, you might raise a
ruckus and bloody the waters out of righteous indignation. Again, as far as the company that lost
master media in the disaster is concerned, silence is golden.

As someone interested enough in re-issuing somewhat obscure material as to take an active hand in
sheparding the process, it's frustrating to me not being able to find out if I'm on a fool's errand
with some material. It's not a good expenditure of time, credibility and "political capital"
agitating about material for which there is no longer usable master media -- the simple fact is that
the material cannot be reissued in a high-fidelity modern format no matter how much I might wish it
to be. So, if I know this in advance, I don't spin my wheels on it. To put it simply, everyone must
choose their battles, and it's better to fight for something that can be accomplished.

I can see all sides of this coin, but I do wish there was a better history of copyright owners
investing the time and the funds to safeguard their master media. As a fan of music, it definitely
boils my blood when I'm stuck with an old-fashioned, inferior-sounding version of something because
there is no more source material from which to do better. But, accidents happen and humans are
humans so I try to avoid blanket condemnations.

-- Tom Fine