Help for DATETIME Archives

DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  April 2015

DATETIME April 2015

Re: Argument for [Another] Change in Uncertainty/Approximation

"Byrd, Donald A." <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Apr 2015 00:06:23 +0000

Looking at the example below, "1975~-07-04", it's not as obvious as one might like that the character after "1975" is the tilde, indicating approximation. True, it can _only_ be a tilde (if I understand EDTF syntax) -- but it's not that obvious that there are two characters there, and it'd be less obvious if the day was omitted, i.e., "1975~-07". How about using a different character for this? For example, "c", as in _circa_? I suppose this also is appropriate to bring up in the ISO process.

--Don

On Mar 31, 2015, at 3:03 PM, Nathan Harrenstein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yes, exactly, we are saying the same thing. Approximation or uncertainty is more likely to begin at the day level (though each component is independent) and thus it should inherit from right to left, but currently it inherits from left to right.
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan
>
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:30 PM, Richard Tallent <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> On Mar 30, 2015, at 2:31 PM, Nathan Harrenstein <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Uncertainty of a date is usually applied first at the most specific part of the date, and then to the increasingly less specific parts. (ie. from the day to the month to the year):
>
> Uncertainty about each part is independent — for example, being uncertain about the month says nothing about the certainty you may have about the year or day.
>
> Approximation is more likely to “inherit” from right to left, but that’s not always the case either. For example, if a record says someone was born on July 4 and is currently around 40 years old, a date of 1975~-07-04 would be appropriate.
>

>> Another possibility would be to remove parentheses, and have flags always apply to the part of the date to which it is applied.
>
> I also find the parenthesis problematic for parsing, so alternatives like this should be brought up during the ISO process.
>
> —Richard

---
Donald Byrd
Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching Fellow
Adjunct Associate Professor of Informatics
Visiting Scientist, Research Technologies
Indiana University Bloomington