ARSCLIST  May 2015

ARSCLIST May 2015

Re: Heated Words of Hot Jazz Fans

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 May 2015 20:22:49 -0700

Jam sessions at ARSC have only happened a couple of times.  It is not
like IAJRC where they play a part in the program schedule.  I walked
down to the lobby last year and a bunch of guys were playing so I
videoed it and put up a couple of stills.  And then a few years ago the
banquet entertainment asked Vinnie to sit in -- and his picture I took
is up. You have to realize that most of us have musical skills that do
not range beyond playing the phonograph -- but are eager to hear our
more talented members.  Brenda mentioned a few days ago some problem
concerning insurance for our banquet performers, and I don't know what
the outcome was.  Maybe they is us!

See you all in a couple of days.  (I ACTUALLY have my conference paper
FINISHED with all its 134 pictures!!!  You ALL better be there.)

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Heated Words of Hot Jazz Fans
From: "Dietrich, Madeline" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, May 24, 2015 1:46 pm
To: [log in to unmask]

Vincent,
Yes, Bob Dunn is my hero! The presentation includes a full score
transcription of a Brownies recording, and looks at Dunn’s solo and
later compares some licks with Miff Mole and Red Allen. (There are other
cans of worms in my session as well—OCLC subject descriptions, etc.
I’m probably trying to cover too much, but hopefully it will come off
as a comprehendible narrative. Ugh!)

By the way, I saw pictures of past conferences on the ARSC page where
people have guitars and such and maybe are having a jam session of some
kind? Do you know anything about this? Is it a regular thing? Will there
be anything like this in Pitt? I can’t bring my bass, but I can bring
my fiddle or mando.

Maddie