BIBFRAME May 2015

Re: Series in BIBFRAME

"Adam L. Schiff" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 May 2015 14:06:56 -0700

TEXT/PLAIN

But the series description may not have the form of the series as it appears on the particular manifestation.  That is, the authorized form of the series is often not the form that appears on a particular issue of the series.  And the series description (for now, the series authority record in LC/NACO) may not include all variants of the series title.  I'm not sure if you're suggesting that the instance only have a link to the series description, or also include a transcription of the series title as it actually appears on a particular manifestation.  Does this or doesn't it matter?  Here's an example where the title proper of the series on a particular manifestation is not the same as the authorized access point for the series:

100 1  $a Stolz, Susan D., $e compiler
245 10 $a Citizen's guide to sources for marine and coastal information in Massachusetts, 1983 / $c compiled by Susan D. Stolz and Catherine Singleton.
250    $a 3rd rev. ed.
260    $a Cambridge, Mass. : $b Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Sea Grant College Program, $c 1983.
300    $a [116] pages ; $c 23 cm.
490 1# $a MITSG ; $v 83-30
830 #0 $a MIT Sea Grant College Program report ; $v 83-30.

Here's the series authority record:

130 _0 $a MIT Sea Grant College Program report
410 2_ $a Massachusetts Institute of Technology. $b Sea Grant College Program. $t MIT Sea Grant College Program report
430 _0 $a M.I.T. Sea Grant College Program report
430 _0 $a MITSG (Series)
430 _0 $a MIT Sea Grant CFER report
430 _0 $a MIT Sea Grant College Program publication
430 _0 $a Technical report (Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Sea Grant College Program)
530 _0 $a Report (Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Sea Grant Program) $w a

Are you saying that the instance for this resource should be linked to the series description, but that the series statement as found on the manifestation, MITSG 83-30, would not be recorded at all, only a link to that would most likely display as MIT Sea Grant College Program report and that would say this was issue 83-30?

Adam

On Wed, 27 May 2015, Karen Coyle wrote:

> [...]
> in the series description linked to the manifestation or instance. It is a
> bibliographic relationship.  I think you are looking at the literal (and
> perhaps pedantic) rules of the cataloging code rather than thinking about
> functionality. For example, because transcription isn't linking data
> (precisely because it is text), then there is no need for a separate subfield
> $x for this data in a statement carrying transcribed text. If you want to
> indicate to other experts that the piece as a mistaken ISSN, surely there is
> a better place for that than in a field destined for a user display.
>
> I also think there is a mis-conception that separate MARC subfields make the
> data machine-actionable. That is absolutely not the case. "$d c1970" or "$d
> 2015" isn't typed data, it's text. Assuming you have a standard formatted
> date elsewhere in your data, what is gained by this subfield? A lot of the
> inter-field distinctions made in MARC have no real functionality that I can
> see, and we should re-think that aspect of our bibliographic description. As
> Thomas Berger said in an other thread:
>
>> I mean, there is not really much difference between
>>
>> 245 $a Hamlet, prince of Denmark
>> 245 $a Hamlet. Prince of Denmark
>> or
>> 245 $a Hamlet :$b Prince of Denmark
>
> Unless you can point to a convincing functional reason for the $b, it's just
> overhead with no value.
>
> Sorry, but I really see a lot of "rote-ness" in the cataloging rules, and
> very little that links them to catalog functionality. And, my {$deity},
> Lubetzky complained about this very thing in 1946, and we still haven't
> created functional cataloging rules.
>
> kc
>>

>> It's important not to confuse what's recorded as manifestation information
>> (series statement elements specified in chapter 2 of RDA and recorded in
>> 490 in MARC) and whole-part work relationships that are recorded as
>> authorized series access points in MARC 8XX and are covered by other
>> chapters in RDA (i.e., chapter 6 for a series as a work, including ISSN as
>> a work identifier, and chapters 24-26 for relationships, including 24.6 for
>> numbering of part).   Note that Numbering within Series (2.12.9) is NOT the
>> same element as Numbering of Part (24.6).  One is a manifestation
>> attribute, the other is used as the name of the part of a work when a
>> relationship is being recorded for that part.  The difficultly with all
>> this is that in many cases, a particular work was only published once, will
>> only ever be published once, so if the one and only manifestation of that
>> work happened to be in a series, it does make sense to treat the work as
>> being in a particular series (i.e., a work to work whole-part
>> relationship). But as Joe Kiegel demonstrated with his Hamlet example, as
>> soon as different manifestations of an expression of a work appear in
>> different series, the relationship really isn't work to work anymore, it's